Sweet Potato, Celeriac and Bacon Soup
- 6 rashers un-smoked streaky bacon, de-rinded
- 340g (approximately 1 large) sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 340g (approximately 1 small) celeriac, peeled and chopped
- 900ml hot vegetable stock
- 150ml half-fat crème fraîche
- 1 small courgette, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped chives
- 1 tsp fresh chopped thyme
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Warm ciabatta bread to serve
Cut the bacon into strips then dry fry in a large saucepan until brown and crispy. Remove and set aside for the garnish.
Pour the extra virgin olive oil into the pan, add the sweet potato and celeriac and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add the stock and bring to the boil then simmer for 10-12 minutes, or until the vegetables are nearly cooked.
Stir in half the crème fraîche and courgette, bring to the boil. Add the herbs and simmer for 2 minutes. Blend to a smooth puree. Season to taste, adding a little more water if the soup is too thick.
Pour into individual soup bowls and top with frazzled bacon, a spoonful of the remaining crème fraiche and some chives. Serve with slices of ciabatta bread.
This recipe is provided by The Interprofesional Olive Oil from Spain.