Italian Sausage Stew
- 2 packs of pork sausages, cut into 4cm pieces
- 2 smoked gammon steaks [approx 400g], cut into smallish lardon size cubes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium or 1 very large onion diced
- 2 cloves of garlic minced or finely chopped
- 250ml dry red wine
- 500ml of beef stock
- 100g of tomato paste
- 200g of pitted calamata olives
- 3 large for 4 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 3 large bay leaves
- 2 heaped tbsp of plain flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- Large heavy bottomed saucepan or stove top friendly casserole dish
Fry the onion and garlic in olive oil over a moderate heat until transparent. Add the carrot and stir fry for a few more minutes.
Turn up heat and add the sausages and gammon. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Stir fry until meat is sealed.
Sprinkle the flour over contents of pot and stir for 1 minute. Add the red wine, stir and let the alcohol evaporate. Add tomato paste and stir some more to coat.
Add the beef stock, olives and bay leaves. Bring to a boil and then either turn the heat down and simmer for 30 minutes or if you’re using a casserole dish put into the oven at 160°C for 30 minutes.
Delicious served on mashed potato, polenta or brown rice along with some spring greens or broccoli on the side.