Lily’s Fairtrade Bacon and Banana Cakes
For the cakes
- 4 rashers unsmoked organic back bacon
- 150g ripe Fairtrade bananas (approx 2 small)
- 60g Fairtrade honey
- 100g unsalted organic butter (at room temperature)
- 40g Tate & Lyle Fairtrade caster sugar
- 140g organic plain flour (sifted)
- ½ tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 2 large, free-range organic eggs (at room temperature)
- Handful Fairtrade Brazil nuts (toasted & chopped)
- ½ tsp grated Fairtrade nutmeg
- ½ tsp Fairtrade ground cinnamon
- 12 paper cupcake cases
For the frosting
- 55g unsalted organic butter (at room temperature)
- 325g Tate & Lyle Fairtrade icing sugar
- ½ cup (4fl oz) organic double cream
- 2 tbsp Fairtrade honey
Lay rashers of bacon on a foil lined sheet and place in a cold oven with the temperature set to 200°c for approx 20 mins or until crispy. Allow to cool.
Turn heat down to 180°c.
Mash bananas with honey in a small bowl and set aside.
Sift together all the dry ingredients into a large bowl – flour, sugar, baking powder, salt.
Cut butter into small chunks and add to the dry ingredients, blend with an electric mixer on medium speed until evenly incorporated.
Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
Mix in the banana/honey mixture, spices and Brazil nuts to taste.
Spoon into cupcakes cases, filling almost to the top.
Bake in preheated oven for 15 mins or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
Remove and leave to cool in the pans for approx 3 mins – then transfer to a cooling rack and leave to cool completely.
Beat the butter until smooth, then add half of the sugar, the double cream and the honey.
Continue beating, slowly adding the rest of the sugar to achieve a smooth, even texture.
Ice each cooled cupcake with a thick swirl of frosting and top with strips of cooled bacon and chopped Brazil nuts.